Colder temperatures, low humidity levels, and indoor heat can cause our skin to become extremely dry, flakey, and downright uncomfortable.
Often times, we take the necessary steps to protect the skin on our face, yet neglect the skin on our bodies! Studies show that if we paid as much attention to the skin on our bodies, as we do our face, our bodies would look up to 10 years younger! Now who doesn’t want that?
With that being said, I thought I would share a few of my skincare tips for your body as well as a few of my favorite products to help you take the steps to counteract the harsh winter elements and keep your skin looking and feeling soft and smooth this cold weather season.
Tip #1 No more hot showers! During the winter months, the first thing we want to do in the morning is crank up the heat in the shower to warm up. However, doing so is a big no-no as hot water will dry out your skin.
Tip #2 Ditch the soap! Avoid using soaps to cleanse your skin as they have enough detergents to strip a floor! Instead, use a nourishing and hydrating body wash or body bar that will cleanse and moisturize your skin at the same time.
My favorite moisturizing body cleansers :
• Bath and Body Works Moisturizing Body Wash with Shea Butter and Coconut Oil. This incredibly moisturizing body wash is made with conditioning shea butter, cocoa butter & coconut oil to gently cleanse with a luxurious lather to leave skin feeling moisturized and pampered.
• AVEENO® DAILY MOISTURIZING YOGURT BODY WASH VANILLA & OATS This rich, creamy body wash gently cleanses and nourishes your skin. It containing an oatmeal and nutrient-rich yogurt which helps to revitalize your dry skin and leaving it feeling moisturized.
• Dove Beauty Bar Dove isn’t a soap, it’s a Beauty Bar. Dove Beauty Bar has mild cleansers to care for skin as it cleanses. The beauty bar contains ¼ moisturizing cream, leaving your body feeling soft and smooth.
Tip #3 Take a bubble bath! Not only is taking a warm bath a great way to quiet the mind and de-stress, it can help keep you feeling rejuvenated and your skin hydrated and healthy.
My favorite bubble bath:
• Dr. Teals Epson Salts Bubble Bath contains Epson salts which help soothe the skin and relax muscles. Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt with lavender can also contribute to a good night’s rest.
Tip #4 Exfoliate! (Gently) It’s important to exfoliate your skin at least three times a week. Doing so will stimulate circulation and your after-shower moisturizers will absorb in your skin rather than sit on top of dead skin cells. Be sure that you only use scrubs that are non-abrasive. You want to look for body scrubs that contain manmade granules that are perfectly round spheres.
My favorite body exfoliant:
This gentle body exfoliant soothes and cleanses the skin while naturally exfoliating sugar crystals exfoliate dead skin. Contains Vitamin E and Sunflower Oil, which helps to nourish and protect skin, leaving it soft and smooth.
Tip #5 Nourish damp skin: To get the most benefits from your body moisturizers, towel blot your skin after your shower or bath – leaving your skin slightly damp, then immediately apply your moisturizer. Your skin will better absorb the moisturizer’s humectants while it is still a bit damp.
My favorite body moisturizers:
• Advanced Therapy Lotion soothes and helps relieve extra-dry skin without feeling heavy or greasy. The formula absorbs quickly and is clinically shown to moisturize skin for 24 hours. Studies show that it helps transform extra dry skin into healthier looking, more resilient skin in just one week.
• Dr. Bronner’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Coconut oil is typically used for cooking yet I have found that Coconut oil is my favorite go to when my skin feels dry. I also love coconut oil for moisturizing my hair and nails.
Tip #6 Protect your pretty lips! Lips look their best when they are soft and smooth. Year round, I apply lip protection first thing in the morning and again before bed.
My favorite lip moisturizer:
I find many chapsticks dry my lips out so I use Aquaphor Lip Repair. It provides long lasting moisture so your lips will look and feel healthier.
Tip #7 Your skin repairs itself at night Don’t forget to reapply your body moisturizer at night time! Just as we apply our night time face moisturizer, it’s good to get in the habit of applying your body moisturizer, hand moisturizer and even apply to your feet before you slip between the sheets. At night while we sleep, our bodies repair themselves. Therefore, it is imperative to nourish your skin so you wake up with that healthy glow.
What are your favorite body products for winter time? Please share below!